The problem I have with china

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The problem I have with china

Post  Teejay on Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:15 am

Digging A Hole All The Way to America is a fascinating read, if you have the time. Among other things, it identifies a fundamental problem we ought to have with China. Two passages stand out:

On page five the American author who spent a week or two in this brand spanking new sprawling Chinese metropolis that's sprung out of thin air, says

Quote:
I was in the market for a bicycle because I was covering a lot of ground on foot, and I figured that if I had a bike, I'd be able to see a lot more. I didn't see any American brands, or even U.S. brands that had factories in China. All I found in their inventory were straight-up mass-produced Made in China bikes that looked like after only a couple of pedals they might fall apart.

But the major selling point was that they were cheap, a majority of them were less than 200 yuan—twenty-five dollars—so I decided to go with the matte-black mountain bike that had the word Superior written on it in white, which if you asked me was a bit of false advertising, and I would come to find out that it was the complete opposite of my matte-black Cannondale (Made in U.S.A.) back home.

Pedaling away from Wal-Mart on my new ride, not sure if I'd be killed first by the total anarchy and mayhem I was now sharing the road with or bite the dust by having my bike fall apart beneath me, I came across a vibrant neighborhood that had hundreds of street vendors, so I parked my bike over at a bike rack, locked it up, and headed out on foot to explore. When I came back an hour later, much to my relief I saw that my bike was no longer there, that somebody had done me a favor and had stolen it.

Later, same page, the author writes
Quote:
Another Englishman gives a quick lesson in economics and China in general, telling me all about how back home there's this place that used to make these tile bricks; the problem was, they lasted for eighty years. The Chinese make their bricks for cheap, and theirs only last eighteen months, which means in eighteen months you have to buy more bricks, thus it's good for the economy because it keeps everybody with a job. The guy that makes them, the guy that sells them, the guy that buys them, and the guy that installs them.

Like my ex-bike, I say. "Is that why everything I buy from China falls apart so fast?"

"Exactly! It keeps everybody with a job."

Feeling sorry for the guy who made the high-quality bricks that lasted for eighty years, I ask if this is a bad thing, since that guy is now out of work thanks to not being able to compete with cheap labor.

"No," Business Casual says after a swig from his beer, "it's good competition."

We're all going to Hell. At least it'll be in our kid's time, and it'll be on the cheap.
Teejay
pre-historic
pre-historic

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2007-10-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The problem I have with china

Post  Englishman the White on Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:50 am

At least you dont have to worry about 3 billion ali bongos taking over your local pubs! Mad
Englishman the White
pre-historic
pre-historic

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2007-10-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Roosters_Fire on Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:39 am

A very interesting note. Here in Australia we also suffer from the Yellow Peril. I wonder what car Valerie will drive me around in, years from now. Will it be a Chinese made Holden? One wonders.

Roosters_Fire
pre-historic
pre-historic

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2007-10-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top